VIVAT International is a Non-Governmental Organization with a membership of more than 25,000 from 11 Catholic Religious Congregations, working in 120 countries to promote human rights through advocacy at international and local levels. VIVAT International has Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) and is associated with the United Nations Department of Global Communications (DGC).
Membership in VIVAT International consists of the following:
The Founding Congregations of VIVAT International are the two congregations that formed VIVAT International in November 2000, namely, the Society of the Divine Word (SVD) and the Missionary Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit (SSpS). By virtue of their membership in these two congregations, all their members are Founding Members of VIVAT International.
Full Member Congregations:
The Full Member Congregations are those congregations that accepted Full membership in VIVAT International after completing the required period of Associate Membership. All the members of these congregations, by virtue of their membership in their respective congregations, are Full Members of VIVAT International.
- Congregation of the Holy Spirit (CSSp) has been a member congregation since January 2009.
Associate Member Congregations:
The Associate Member Congregations are those congregations associated with VIVAT International on a temporary contract. All the members of these congregations, by virtue of their membership in their respective congregations, are Associate Members of VIVAT International.
- Congregation of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ (ASC)
- Missionary Sisters of the Holy Rosary (MSHR)
- Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI)
- Comboni Missionary Sisters (CMS)
- Comboni Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus (MCCJ)
- Little Sisters of the Assumption (LSA)
- Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo (Scalabrinian Sisters, MSCS)
- Sisters of the Holy Cross (CSC)
Other individuals, groups, or organizations may be recognized by or affiliated with VIVAT International in so far as they are related to the above congregations and upon the recommendation of the competent authority of the respective congregations.